Most of us don’t know that sleep is vital for optimal health. While we sleep our bodies work to detoxify itself, create new cells, and prepare our body to take on a new day. We tend to take sleep for granted by not getting enough, staying out late and eating right before bed. As a result we feel tired, lazy, and unproductive. Sleep affects our immune system and when you are not properly rested your immune system lowers. That’s when we become more prone to colds and infections.
When we have a goodnights rest we feel more alert, energetic, happier,
and better able to function.The key hormone our body produces while we sleep is melatonin. This fundamental hormone that is stimulated by darkness regulates our sleep cycle . You need to create the proper sleep environment to have adequate amounts of melatonin to feel good and wake up feeling rested.
The Perfect Sleep
- Sleep in complete darkness, use an eye mask if necessary or have dark curtains
- Try to Sleep by 10pm and wake by 6am ideal for melatonin secretion
- Refrain from eating right before bedtime
- Have a bedtime routine, go to bed at the same time every night
- Keep all electronics at least 5 feet away from your bed while sleeping